Reporting and data collection
The Czech National Bank collects and performs initial processing of data for its activities in the following ways:
1) Through the automated MtS-ISL-SUD-SDNS information system, which is designed for the collection of structured data from reporting entities. This is the main and, in terms of data volumes, the predominant method for collecting data. The reports submitted in this manner and the rules for doing so are laid down in the relevant legislation. Reporting entities use the following options for transmitting data:
- a) The reporting entity’s own application enabling exchange of information through the EDI/EDIFACT channel,
- b) The web-based SDNS application, for which the reporting entity need not develop or install any special software. SDNS also serves as a universal electronic tool for presentation of the CNB’s reporting methodologies in structured form; access to the methodologies is public.
- c) The reporting entity’s own application using the SDNS-WS application interface, realised through Web-Services technology.
More information about data collection through the MtS-ISL-SUD-SDNS system can be found in The rules for transmitting and accepting automated reports submitted to the Czech National Bank (pdf, 2 MB, available in Czech only) or can be obtained at firstname.lastname@example.org .
As regards b) SDNS:
Reporting entities using SDNS may themselves automate data preparation by creating or acquiring a suitable application.
In simple situations or for a transitional period, ExcelToXML can be used as a supporting instrument. This application, enabling data to be converted from the MS Excel xls/xlsx formats into XML format, in which it can be uploaded to the SDNS, eliminates lengthy manual entering of data. ExcelToXML only offers the most rudimentary functionality (it does convert the reporting entity’s primary data into reported values and it does not link to the reporting methodology, among other things). The application, including source codes (LGPL), is freely available and can be further modified and integrated into the reporting entity’s application software. The CNB is not planning to develop it significantly further.
The latest version of the program – v. 1.08.3 of 19 February 2019 (offering support for Excel 97, 2000, XP, 2003, 2007 and 2010 xls/xlsx formats and the option to process multidimensional (z-axis) data areas) – can be downloaded here:
Archive (available in Czech only) of previous versions of the program.
Java version 1.5 or higher is required to install and start the application. Java 5 or higher is required for source code translation.
Reporting entities that load data into the SDNS application can refer to the document SDNS application - XML structure for loading data from a file - user (programmer) manual (pdf, 193 kB, available in Czech only).
As regards c) SDNS-WS:
The following documents are available to reporting entities using the SDNS-WS interface:
- SDNS automation - user documentation (pdf, 910 kB, available in Czech only)
- Data reporting through SDNS Web Services - user manual (process view) (pdf, 281 kB, available in Czech only)
- Data reporting through SDNS Web Services - user (programmer) manual (pdf, 823 kB, available in Czech only)
- Data reporting through SDNS Web Services - ISO 20022 (pdf, 1.9 MB)
As from 1 May 2017, it will no longer be possible to use the TLS 1.0 protocol to connect to the apl.cnb.cz server. Please make sure your system is configured for the use of a higher protocol (TLS 1.1 or 1.2).