Jan Frait joined the Czech National Bank in 2000 and served as Bank Board member in 2000–2006. In this capacity, he served a member of the OECD’s Economic Policy Committee in 2005–2006. Since 2007 he has been responsible for financial stability analyses in the Czech National Bank. He is currently Bank Board member and represents the Bank in the Financial Stability Committee of the ECB and the Advisory Technical Committee of the ESRB. He was a long-standing editor of Czech Journal of Economics and Finance.
Recent CNB Publications
- Hodula, M., Malovaná, S., and J. Frait (2019): Too Much of a Good Thing? Households' Macroeconomic Conditions and Credit Dynamics. CNB Working Paper 11/2019, Czech National Bank.
- Hodula, M., Malovaná, S., and J. Frait (2019): Introducing a New Index of Households' Macroeconomic Conditions. CNB Working Paper 10/2019, Czech National Bank.
- Malovaná, S. and J. Frait (2016): Monetary Policy and Macroprudential Policy: Rivals or Teammates? CNB Working Paper 6/2016, Czech National Bank.
- Frait, J. and Z. Komárková (2012): Macroprudential Policy and Its Instruments in a Small EU Economy. CNB Research and Policy Note 3/2012, Czech National Bank.
Recent Journal Publications
- Hodula, M., Malovaná, S., Frait, J. (2022): Too much of a good thing? Households’ macroeconomic conditions and credit dynamics, German Economic Review
- Hodula, M., Malovaná, S., and J. Frait (2021): What Does Really Drive Consumer Confidence? Social Indicators Research.
- Malovaná, S. and J. Frait (2017): Monetary Policy and Macroprudential Policy: Rivals or Teammates? Journal of Financial Stability 32(C), pp 1–16.
- Frait, J. and V. Tomšík (2014): Impact and Implementation Challenges of the Basel Framework for Emerging, Developing and Small Economies. Comparative Economic Studies 56(4), pp 493–516.
- Frait, J. and Z. Komárková (2013): Loan Loss Provisioning in Selected European Banking Sectors: Do Banks Really Behave in a Procyclical Way? Czech Journal of Economics and Finance 63(4), pp 308–326.
- Frait, J., Komárek, L., and Z. Komárková (2011): Monetary Policy in a Small Economy after Tsunami: A New Consensus on the Horizon? Czech Journal of Economics and Finance 61(1), pp 5–33.
- Frait, J. and M. Mora (2020): From float to currency floor and back to float: the Czech National Bank’s temporary exchange rate commitment. BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Financial market development, monetary policy and financial stability in emerging market economies, volume 113, pp. 121–131, Bank for International Settlements.
- Hájek, J., Frait, J., and M. Plašil (2017): The countercyclical capital buffer in the Czech Republic. Thematic Article in CNB Financial Stability Report 2016/2017, pp 106–114, Czech National Bank.
- Frait, J., Malovaná, S., Tomšík, V. (2015): The interaction of monetary and macroprudential policies in the pursuit of the central bank’s primary objectives. Financial Stability Report 2014/2015, pp. 110–120, Czech National Bank.
- Komárková, Z., Hausenblas, V., Frait, J., (2012): How to identify systemically important financial institutions. Financial Stability Report 2011/2012, pp. 100-111, Czech National Bank.
- Young Economist Award, first prize (1995) by the Czech Economic Society for his paper “Portfolio model of the balance of payments (and its application to the Czech-Republic 1992–1995)”
- Prague Economic Papers, Czech Journal of Economics and Finance, Journal of Financial Stability
- Professor of economics since 2002. Faculty of Economics at Technical University in Ostrava (1990–2015), University of Finance and Administration in Prague (2009–now).
- Czech Economics Society: member of the Board (1999–2007), president (2002–2003).