What we build on
Broad independence of the central bank is a key condition for successful implementation of monetary policy, i.e. for sustained non-inflationary growth of the economy, as well as for objective supervision of the financial market.
OPENNESS AND CREDIBILITY
A high degree of independence must go hand in hand with a high degree of accountability to the public for fulfilling our objectives. We inform the public and their elected representatives regularly and openly about our objectives and their fulfilment and about our opinions, plans and predictions. This makes our actions comprehensible, predictable and therefore credible.
Proficient and competent employees are vital if the CNB is to succeed in enhancing its reputation as a credible and open institution at home and on the international stage.
The mandate of the Czech National Bank
- Through monetary policy we seek to preserve price stability, i.e. low and stable inflation. Through macroprudential policy we foster financial stability and resilience of the financial system, which are necessary conditions for the maintenance of price stability. Through the joint action of monetary policy and macroprudential policy, we contribute to maintaining confidence in the value of the Czech koruna and safeguarding the stability of the macroeconomic environment.
- By supervising the financial market and creating prudential rules and rules of conduct towards clients we protect the clients of persons and institutions carrying on business on the financial market.
- By managing the interbank payment system and issuing banknotes and coins we ensure smooth payments and cash circulation.
- As the bank of the state, we provide banking services to the state and the public sector.
- In line with our primary objective, we manage international reserves with professional care.
- We are a part of the European System of Central Banks and contribute to the fulfilment of the ESCB’s objectives and tasks.